Saturday, September 28, 2013

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

(Optional Background Music)

And that we did. Thursday the volleyball team went to Dubai to celebrate starting the season off with two wins. I am not sure how but all of the girls, myself included, are obsessed with steak so we went to Texas Roadhouse. The combination of all of our different personalities is so perfect and absurd that I spent the entire night laughing to the point of tears. We also ate more than I probably ate all week in one sitting so we sat around and talked for a while to give us time to get the motivation to move.

No time for pictures...it is time to eat
Post meal...coach (on my right) is even stretching haha
Meet my new best friends :) AUS Volleyball team at Texas Roadhouse...And the waiter in the back who photo bombed us
As if dinner wasn't enough entertainment, we went outside to see the fountain and walk around. The music was a classical piece and for some unknown reason I felt it necessary to start dancing. Of course the girls thought it was hilarious (they got it all on video) and it was so fun until I realized everyone was staring at us. That was the end of that but we all got a good laugh out of the American making a fool out of herself.

Mid dance move in front of the Burj


Cheesin' like true tourists
I feel so comfortable around these girls that I sometimes forget where I am hence the dancing in public. We went to see Insidious 2 which is an intense film and if you looked down our row of the 10 girls (our coach included) we all had our knees up or were covering our eyes/ears/face or were holding on to the person next to us. Of course our team can't do anything without making a scene which we did by laughing through a lot of the movie. Before the movie started one of the girls asked coach if she was going to scream and she replied, "we're not on a volleyball court so why would I?" That is what started our never ending bursts of laughter at serious moments, moments when people screamed or just moments when there was nothing else to do but laugh. Nothing says thriller like laughter. We may have ruined it for other people but it was really great. Also despite the fact we just ate a meal that equaled that of thanksgiving just an hour before the movie, we still got more to eat at the theater. I could get used to this whole eating nonstop on weekends thing, especially because all of my friends do it here.
We ended the crazy night (I know that dinner and a movie does not sound super crazy but with this group it was) with a karaoke session on the ride back to campus. Everything from summer hits to good ol' 90's boy bands were screamed out from everyone in the car. After a night like Thursday I am so excited for the rest of this semester with these girls and to travel with them in November. I feel like I am living proff that the statement "hind sight is 20/20" is so true. I was devastated when I got hurt years ago and found out I couldn't play collegiate volleyball. I questioned why I had poured all of the time and effort into the sport for no reason. But now it all makes sense. Without volleyball I would not know these girls like I do and I am sure my experience would be way different. They are a blessing.

Groceries! This ought to last me at least a week haha
The rest of my weekend has been homework and taking care of stuff for the real world (ie internships for the summer, etc). This morning I did go grocery shopping so that I can start making meals in my room that are filling (since I am always hungry) and I think it was a success. Take a look at the little lunch I made with just a small pot and a small frying pan.

Check out this fine meal made on a small hot plate in a dorm.

Now it is on to week 4 in the UAE....let the adventures continue!


p.s. Saw this in the mall and thought of my dad! HI DAD


1 comment: