Monday, November 11, 2013

Sweet Victory

Volleyball, volleyball and more volleyball. That pretty much sums up my week. (but actually)

Today is day ten of nonstop volleyball (which in actuality is not that abnormal in the States but not what I would have thought my time in the UAE would be like). Last week I practiced with Al Wasl (the club in Dubai) on Saturday and Sunday, game with AUS on Monday, AUS practice Tuesday, game with AUS on Wednesday, practice with Al Wasl Thursday, Al Wasl Tournament Friday and Saturday, AUS practice Sunday and a game with AUS tonight. whew! So clearly all of my adventures this week revolved around volleyball (which aren't traditionally cultural per say) but hopefully you all enjoy :)

I can't put into words how great it was to play with Al Wasl. I went into the weekend just excited to get to be around great players (a good amount of people in the tourney played on their home countries' national teams) and did not expect to play that much since I had barely practiced with them. To my surprise I actually got to play (in a position that I had never played in a game before so it was great to try something new)! It was amazing! Also, having my coach set for me (she played on the Jordanian national team) was great. As a hitter, nothing is better than a good setter. I also had the privilege to play with a player who I am certain is the best volleyball player I have ever seen. She is from Kenya and they flew her in for the tournament (apparently they fly her in just so they can win big tournaments). She was an unreal player. I kid you not her hits were better than Olympic players and every time she got a set we knew we would have the point. So as you might guess, she got the majority of sets and made winning a lot easier. The second day we played really well and after one of the most intense matches I have watched in the longest time we secured the victory and took first place! I am so thankful that this weekend came together like it did and that now when I leave the UAE I will be leaving with an Al Wasl uniform, a UAE jacket, a gold medal and a great memory of playing volleyball with some of the best players in the UAE.
Huddle before the last game
Sarah and I before the second day of games in front of the flag.
These two make volleyball even that more amazing here. I am so thankful for Sarah and my Coach Rawan
We coincidentally both did game faces on this selfie
Al Wasl after winning the tournament! (we are in black and the other teams are around us)
I look like a little kid who won a turtle race or something but I was pretty excited (Note my super cool UAE olympic jacket I got from the team too!)
Al Wasl coach and I with the cup :)
I wonder if I will ever reach a point while here that I actually belief this is real life. As cliche as it sounds, it is so fairy tale like. I would have never in a million years imagined my semester in the UAE would include befriending a sheikh, playing a tournament with the best players in the UAE, and traveling to Italy to play volleyball. Who knows what the next two months will bring my way :)

Also, the cold season is upon us...cold meaning in the 70s and 80s. The weather is incredible! Since the sun is not burning everything that is alive they are planting flowers and the grass looks so amazing. It is making me reevaluate my thoughts on winter :) The other day in class we watched this video called Emirates Winter that shows what the winter months are like across the UAE. It's incredible how beautiful winter is here (and its obviously not for the snow capped mountains). Though the holidays are approaching and I am starting to realize how strange it will be to celebrate Christmas 10,000 miles away from my family I think the weather being in the 70s will help raise my spirits!

We leave Wednesday morning for Italy so once I return later next week I will post another update of the trip. I can't believe it is already here! Until then...Arrivederci!

2 comments:

  1. Futoon Here. We miss you, come back.
    Also waiting for your next blog update!

    ReplyDelete